01 September 2008

A Kind of September

There's a nightclub in town called "Ho-bahk Nah-eet-uh". Ho-bahk means pumpkin, and "nah-eet-uh" is just the English word 'night' with a Korean twist. Anyway, they have a small fleet of these vehicles with the pumpkin on top, apparently just for advertisement. They'd be great at Halloween, but Koreans don't do Halloween unfortunately. Wonder if they rent them out... hmm.
Went to the university and picked up my class lists. They come with pictures already on them! Cool. Tomorrow I have two classes late in the afternoon and early evening. Never did get my syllabus translated into Korean, but I don't know anybody who can do that anyway. Not around here, that is. Eh, it's good practice for them to read English. Some of the teachers have such complex systems of grading and homework and what-not that they need to tell the kids in Korean what's what. My system is rather simple. I'm having them do homework online to save paper and hassle. Their weekly homework is just an email to me about a topic I assign, and they have to use the grammar and some of the new vocabulary of the week. They have until every Sunday to get me their week's homework. If it's late, they get a zero, but I will read it and comment on it all the same, for their edification... maybe. Depends on whether they're serious learners or not. Some of these kids could not care any less about learning to use English.
Rained most of the day. The humidity was oppressive even though it wasn't hot. My laundry is having a hard time drying on the rack.
Oh, have to make a jab: Focus on the Family, the radical religious group in the U.S., prayed for rain to ruin the Democratic Party convention last week, but it looks like God got all confused about whose convention to ruin. Too bad Louisiana has to suffer, though. Damned Republicans.

No comments: