31 August 2008

Busan

At Nopodong station in the suburbs of Busan, the cops were just standing at the top of the stairs and (randomly?) asking men for their IDs and writing information in little notebooks. There's a wanted poster for some guy posted all over the country in transportation centers... wonder if they're looking for him this way.
So I took this little trip to Busan. The trains between here and Busan didn't have a good schedule, so I opted for the express bus service. It only took 50 minutes to get to Nopodong subway station in Busan! Didn't realize the outskirts of Busan were so close! Might go down there more often now. Rob had to finish administering a test, then we got together for dinner at Outback, but not the Outback where we were. Apparently the local expat community has declared it a "bad" Outback. I get all confused when I go to Busan, so don't know where we ended up exactly, though the food was good... pricey, but good. I tried a bottle of Victoria Bitter which is a really nice-tasting beer. It won't replace my devotion to wheat beers, and it is no threat to Hoegaarden for my affections, but it is nice all the same.
I stayed overnight at Rob's place with his wife and son, then after a delicious breakfast at McDonalds down the street, we went to Hanaro Department Store, which is run by Nonghyup, a farmer's cooperative company. I needed a watch to wear while on my motorcycle, and after hemming and hawing over some $380 watches that could do everything but sing Dixie, I settled on a Von Dutch for $58. It has a large face, and when I'm driving, that's what I need. I'll post a photo of the new watch on my livevideo site.

No comments: