27 August 2008

Week Off

The picture here is some Korean school girls walking home after school, but as with most Korean females, they are deathly afraid of getting tan skin, so they walk around like that in the sun. Tan skin is apparently quite unattractive in this culture.
I went to Ansan last weekend to say Happy Birthday to Simon. His b-day was really yesterday, but the weekend was more convenient to go. Vaughan, Julie, Joel, Alice, Simon, and I went and had a very mediocre meal at TGI Fridays. They have gone downhill fast the last few years. Several menu items they didn't even have available. After the movie, some of us went to see "Superhero" at the cinema upstairs from TGIs. It had its funny moments, but not $7 worth of funny moments. If you can see if for free, then you'll get your money's worth.
Got my oil changed and the usual chain, transmission, and tire pressure check as well. All for $6. Monday there was a university faculty dinner at the Concorde Hotel out by the lake. Beautiful location, and the food was pretty good, too. Didn't understand a word of the speeches, but I'm sure the folks who gave them said meaningful and interesting things all the same. Oh, ran over to Daegu today to the electronics market. Simon said my Sony video cam would probably work great on the Mac with a firewire connection. I got all the way over there and went to the counter where I bought the camera, and the guy told me that the Sony video cam doesn't have firewire capabilities. Grr. I was going to comfort myself by getting some decent speakers for the Mac, and I found some great speakers for $90. I told the guy if he cut the price a little, I'd buy them. He went to ask the boss, and the boss took one look at me and said, No deal. Even if he had cut it to $85, I'd have bought it, but they HATE giving deals to foreigners in this country. They seem to think that we have endless streams of money just because we're Caucasian. At least I know what speakers I want. They were too good for the Mac, so I'd put them on the PC and hand-me-down the current Logitech speakers to the Mac.
This is my last week off before school starts. Kind of anxious to get going again. Summer makes me too lazy.

No comments: