02 September 2008

First Day

I went in to the university late in the morning to try to get ready for my first day of teaching in many weeks. The weather seemed unsettled, so I wore rain gear, but didn't really need it. My first class was at 3:00, and I had a little presentation as an introduction to the course, but it was made on OpenOffice, and the Microsoft Office on the classroom computer wouldn't open it. What a disaster! So I had to do it all from memory on the whiteboard... boring!
Between that class and the one at 6:00, I downloaded and installed OpenOffice in the classrooms I'll be using the rest of the week, plus we had a faculty meeting for just us English Conversation teachers. The university is hiring at least seven new teachers for next year, but they're really looking for people who are already in Korea. So in October they'll advertise, and in November they'll interview candidates.
I discovered that I missed the deadline for signing up for Fall classes at NAU. For some reason, I thought I had lots of time. I had agonized over and organized what I wanted to study, but all for naught, since I didn't read the webpage properly. Live and learn, though. Next time I will be a lot more on the ball.


No comments: