10 September 2008

YouTube: The Love-Hate Relationship

I have trouble all the time getting YouTube to show in English, so I went online for help, and the guy told me that next to the YouTube logo, there's a choice between the local language (determined by IP address) and ENGLISH.  Well, in Korea, if you can read Korean, you can see that my choices are:  KOREA and KOREAN.  No 'English' option for YouTube here.  I clicked every button that says "English" when I signed up; I have lied and said I live in the States, all to no avail.  YouTube, I guess, insists that if you don't live in America, you don't speak English!
It's such a pain that YouTube is inflexible for users.  This is what I deal with.  I'm an English speaker who happens to be in Korea, but if by some miracle I get YouTube to display in English, it won't stay there for long.  Just click a link to an AMERICAN video, and it's back to Korean!
Today I only had one class.  Some girl sat in on my class, because she wants me to let her join the class so she can be with her friend.  It might be possible, though I don't like adding students.  I much prefer dropping them! heh heh
Laura told me there's a computer shop over near the ghetto where the other English teachers live.  I'm taking my poor widdle sick PC over there to see if the hard drive can be fixed.  If not, I'll get a new one.  I've heard of hardware failing, but if this is broken, it'll be the first time I've had a piece of hardware break on me.  The noise I heard from it just before it crashed was disturbing, so I'm not holding out much hope.  My problem is, I animate personal possessions... so it's hard to deal with "losing" a thing that has been a part of my life.
Tomorrow I start special tutoring "Mr. Pak" whom I should have failed last semester.He came to me and begged me in Korean to let him pass, and since he's majoring in Buddhist studies, I didn't see any reason to fuck up his life over English class. Reaping the whirlwind now, though.  He can't even read the simplest words or say the simplest things in English, so I told him to come see me on Thursdays for special lessons and not go to the regular class.  Hope something good comes of this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Mike, click on the 한국어 sign and it will bring up a box of other languages to choose from. same with the 한국 sign.

Mike of Korea said...

Someone beat you to it, but thanks for the note all the same. It's kind of confusing not to have some specific icon to click on. Anyway, all's well with the world once again! heh heh