27 September 2008

Ripping a new one

The other day I was riding along on my motorcycle, and I noticed that I had this HUGE rip down half the left side of my fairly new jacket! WTF? I still have no idea how that happened. As far as I could remember, there was a clothing repair shop in my neighborhood, but I couldn't find it. Maybe I just misremembered. So I rode around on my bike in and out of all the little streets looking for a clothing repair place, and all I could find was this laundry. The name in Korean translates "Laundry Village." What's a little funny, too, is the other sign sticking out perpendicular from the wall reads "Soju Village," soju being the national grain alcohol they drink a lot of... a lot. However, the laundry lady was sober, and she said she could fix the jacket, "If that's all right." I guess she had sensed my apprehension at having a mere laundry lady sewing up a rip in a jacket. Red-faced, I left the jacket with her, and yesterday I picked it up. It is so well done, I can't tell where the rip used to be! She carged me the equivalent of $3. That's another thing I like about Korea. Real people doing honest work are fair and honorable about what they charge.
For some reason, I woke up at 2 AM today. Isn't that a pain? Couldn't fall back to sleep, so at 4:00, I got up and gave the cats their breaky and made myself a cuppa tea. With my PC all back and running perfectly, I'm thinking of getting some speakers for it... nice speakers. Right now the PC is using some tinny pieces of plastic crap I had in a box in the closet. Yuck.

No comments: