09 October 2008

The Compassionate, the Merciful

Hilarious picture that I pinched from Dr. Myer's site :


That says it all, as far as I'm concerned!

I have this minor debate going on with some proponent of the quran (koran).  He can't seem to grasp that I'm not elevating the bible above the quran; I'm denouncing both sets of literature as crap that twists weak minds away from reality.  All theistic religious literature is nonsense built around hearsay based on deceit.  It took me a long time to realize that and come out from among the religious nuts, so I'm not holding my breath with this guy.  He really believes the quran is the word of a god.  To me, the quran reads like the Unabomber Manifesto .  It starts out OK, then it just rambles and rants on and on until you want to blow something up in frustration.

The financial markets here in Korea are starting to feel the Bush Administration-sponsored Financial Crisis.  Oh well, I don't invest in the markets, and I don't take out loans, so I guess the only concern for me is the value of the currency.  We shall see how that goes.

My county clerk back in Michigan hasn't sent my absentee ballot yet.  Better give her a call to make sure she got my request.  I also need to call the police department to see about my criminal background check.  Korea requires non-professor teachers to get criminal checks.  Even though I work at a university, and they call me professor, the contract doesn't call me a 'professor', and the university will not hire us on an E-1 (professor) visa, so we have to go through all the crap and nonsense that the hagwon teachers have to go through to work in Korea.  Doesn't seem right, but that's what the Korean people decided after their hysterical reaction to that Canadian pedophile last year.  I guess it's cheaper to hire us on a one-year E-2 visa, even though we are the ones who actually pay for the visa to work here.  An E-1 visa is good for two years, so the university retains more leverage to dismiss Westerners they don't like by not using the E-1.  Some people trust Koreans completely, but I stay on the defensive around them still.  Been hurt too often, I suppose.  I do get sick of being called "foreigner" all the time.  They have no idea how insulting that is in English.  Well, at least at the airport, they changed the "foreigner" immigration check-in desks to "non-Korean".  That's a good sign, I guess.

No comments: