18 October 2008

Be All You Can, Bee

In front of the Hyundae Department store in Ulsan, the butterfly was helping the bee get his head on.  I didn't see any indication as to the purpose of the costumes.  Maybe having huge insects among all the flowers at the front door was just meant to turn heads. 


Yesterday after work I was riding my motorcycle home and some taxi overtook me on the left, but pulled into my lane before he had cleared me, so I was forced into another lane suddenly.  Fortunately, there were no other maniac Korean men driving in that lane, but I was furious, because if somebody had been driving in that lane, I'd be in the hospital now or possibly the morgue.  When the taxi stopped at the red light, I pulled up and started yelling at him.  He had some middle school kid in the back seat who froze and stared at me.  The taxi driver took off while I was chewing him out, so I followed him and when he finally stopped to let the kid out, I started in on the driver again.  When I felt he had had enough, I took off, but in my mirrors I saw he was following me.  He got up right behind me, so I pulled hard on my brakes and stopped.  He wanted to know why I was so furious, and I told him he almost killed me.  I was in no mood for the ritual of phony apologies they go through here in their Confucian attempts to restore social harmony.  The best thing they could do is throw Confucius out the window and start behaving like other people actually mattered.  I get very pissed off with their inattention to how their selfish actions affect others.  


Didn't make banana muffins or anything else yet.  I have no ambition lately.  Today I went for a bicycle ride and made a little video about it.  The weather was gorgeous, but a little hot.  I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt, and I regretted the sweatshirt after an hour out in the sun.   

No comments: