29 October 2009

The one where the gas lady tried to get in


Since my body has been ravaged by some viral whatsit all week, my trips to the corner store have included a look at the vitamin drinks they proffer.  This looks like an energy drink, but I'm not so sure I feel lucky enough to get it!

Today there was a notice on the front door of our building that the gas lady would be by this morning between 11 and 12.  Her job is to come alone into strangers' apartments with a meter and make sure there are no gas leaks inside the apartments.  Well, that wasn't enough notice for me to clean the apartment, so I've been dodging her (she comes back at night if you aren't home in the day).  I wasn't home during the day, because I spent a good chunk of time at the university trying to catch up on correcting midterms.   There were no classes at the uni today, thank goodness.  My illness has taken away my vim; I could not have done teaching and stayed upright, I fear.  I did get to help one of my co-worker's students, though, which is always a nice feeling.  One time in college, my French professor, Colonel Olsen, helped me with an assignment for Miss Gulick, our other French professor.  I bothered him at home while he was in his bathrobe.  I've never forgotten that, and I have always aspired to be that kind of language teacher, willing to help even if I'm busy.

No comments: