26 October 2009

The one where I suffer my yearly cold


Casually walking through Seoul, there's no telling what you might see.  I guess they lifted the ban on American GIs going out at night and getting wasted, eh?  I walked by an hour later, and he was still passed out, but a lot more people were taking his picture! LOL  Anyway, this photo kind of looks how I feel:  Blecky!

I started getting sick on Thursday, but didn't feel it in earnest until Friday, then this weekend it's only gotten worse.   It isn't the flu; it's a cold.  And I have tried to be so careful!  Argh!  I have not been sick at all since last October!  Maybe going through homework papers and licking my fingers to turn pages once in a while wasn't a good idea.  Bad habit. Time to buy a sponge.  Fortunately, my schedule allows an extra day to recover before my classes start again for this week.

What's waiting on my desk:  Midterm tests that need grading!  And recording!  And photocopying for the required portfolio!  The only drawback to teaching is the paperwork that must be done.  The paperwork has increased each year in the two I have worked here.  Hope the trend plateaus somewhere soon.  I can understand grading and keeping grading sheets, but this new portfolio thing is over the top.  Plus, we need to do spreadsheets!  English teachers doing spreadsheets like some science department?  There's no reason articulated for the spreadsheets, of course, just some wild demand from the head office.  Of course, the university system only operates smoothly with Microsoft Office spreadsheets, and I can't afford MS Office, so I use OpenOffice.  Can't get that to work at all.  Our local computer nut's directions don't work, because I have Vista Home Basic in my office, and that system is too basic and won't allow dual languages.  What a mess. We're just adjuncts according to the university, not real faculty, so why all the fuss?  They haven't announced whether they are rehiring us or not.  Better get another job lined up just in case.  Koreans are so unpredictable; you can't assume anything here.

Time for another Nyquil capsule (I have a stash I brought from the States last summer.)

Aaaaagh.......... |:(

No comments: