12 October 2009

The one where I found butter beans

As you might have gathered, I've been trying to get to a real supermarket/department store for some time, and today I went to Busan to that end.  Actually, I hadn't intended to go, but Rob forgot his phone at my place, and I thought I'd use it as an excuse to go to Busan.  The only problem is, I didn't look for what I had intended to look for, because I never looked at my list the whole time, so it was a fairly fruitless trip, though I found canned butter beans and lentils someplace, Lotte Department store, I think.  Surprise, surprise!  I'll have to look up an interesting recipe to use them in.  Don't remember exactly where I was (I get lost in Busan so easily), but I got to watch the Krispy Kreme store make doughnuts.  They have their apparatus set up in front of a long window that has the process all explained in Korean on a tape the runs along the bottom of the window.  Fun and educational!

The coolest part is the curtain of glaze.  This tube fills up a small reservoir that overflows and coats the little buggers as they pass under.  The worker pours water into the receptacle vat underneath every so often to help in the recycling of glaze.  It reminded me of my job in the kitchen at Asbury College: making doughnuts at some ungodly hour of the night (that they insisted was actually morning-- yeah, right).  It wasn't a bad job, though, if you had to work as well as study.  I even got praise from the school chef for saving money by mixing leftover batters instead of wasting them.
They tell me it's midterm exam week now.  You'd never know really.  There's no special scheduling like we did at Hanyang University.  So, I'm doing my midterms next week just to give my learners a little treat.  I'll tell them that it's to help relieve their schedule some this week, they'll think I'm great for it, and then they'll evaluate me a decent teacher and I can stay! Yea!  (When you schmooze students just to keep your job, you know things have gone to the dogs. LOL)

No comments: