01 November 2009

The one where I found Queen Grimhilde's orchard


Yesterday was a beautiful, warm, sunny day!  After some letter writing was caught up, off to the local mountain for a hike I went.  Along the way, I passed a lovely little apple orchard, and the devil inside thought no one would miss one apple, would they?  Fortunately, before my soul came into jeopardy, this sign came into view.  I knew every word on this sign, but what did it mean?  Let's first see what the basic vocabulary says: <<Warning apple poison insertion responsibility (particle indicating uncertainty) is not>>  It is a sign after all, and sometimes signage is in shorthand.  Also, Korean avoids pronouns like the plague.  "If you can't guess who's doing what, then you can't speak Korean yet."  *sigh*  Honestly, I cannot tell you what this sign means precisely, but I can tell you that the presence of the phrase "poison insertion" was enough to keep me honest. LOL

The weather has taken a turn toward winter now.  I doubt we'll see days like yesterday again until March.  My ondol under-floor heating is running on low, and the humidifier is billowing faithfully.  Buttoned up snug, the cats and I are settling in for a cozy evening of a good book, French radio from Canada, and hot store-bought apple juice that I pretend is cider.

No comments: