20 November 2009

The one where I'm disconnected


I can't get enough of traditional Korean architecture! It's  a complicated and intricate weave that produces an aesthetic to knock your socks off.  I would love to have a house like the building in this photo, even without all the detail painting.

Last night the internet service to my place went down, and all my prayer and fasting couldn't bring it back up again.  From my office today I gave KT a call, and they'll send someone around tomorrow morning.  Eh, it'll give me some quiet time.  Speaking of which, my apartment is all rearranged for winter now.  The living room is functioning once again as a living room rather than a cat habitat, and the little room that was the computer room is now my meditation room.  It's a perfect place: small and cozy.  The ondol heats the floor just right in there, too.

This week my syllabus called for giving my classes outlines of the final exam!  Is that right?  Isn't it too early for that?!  The end of the semester is indeed just around the corner.  I dread the paperwork, though the classes are all a pleasure to teach.  We will actually finish the textbook this time!  Thank planning and good learners for that!

Today is the dedication of the new building on campus and the enshrinement (?) of some dead monk.  Not sure what enshrinement is, but the university wants all free faculty to attend.  I might go, though Friday is a high-pressure day for me.  We'll see.

No comments: