26 February 2010

The one where I was reminded of Cursillo

How could I have not noticed this before?  The street lamps are shaped in the fashion of traditional Korean bows and arrows.  Clever.  (This was taken through a dirty bus window, so please pardon the poor quality.)

Much has happened lately, and more is coming.  Today several of us staked our claims for desks in the new foreign teachers' offices.  Instead of semi-private offices, we now do things in the open-office format with several teachers in one large room.  I'm in the third floor office, which is nice, because our classrooms are right across the hall.  Due to the nature of our subject, the new office format will not be conducive to meeting students without disturbing others.  However, the Korean Overlords who established the new office format are not the brightest bulbs in the marquee, and I don't really care anymore.  Koreans have never been serious about the teaching and learning of English, so they get what they deserve.

After a very smooth visit to the Immigration office in Daegu Wednesday in which I splurged for a new immigration card (a very nice-looking one, I might add), I walked the few blocks down to HomePlus to see if they had chicken cat food.  They did not; however, I was hungry and went to the food court to get myself a very healthy and delicious meal of bulgogi bibimbap which you see here.

Against the advice of my doctor, I went for a latte at the little coffee shop next to the food court. Their creative, yet non-standard, past tense caught my eye, and lest you think it was one isolated misprint, let me assure you, it was found on every item that carried the logo.  Oh, and they don't sell buns.  But the coffee was good.

Tomorrow is our all-day faculty meeting.  The newbies start early in the morning, and the rest of us will join them at 1 PM for several hours of... something.  Of course, the agenda of the meeting is a big, fat secret for no apparent reason.  It's like Cursillo with all the secretive, mysterious malarkey that drove me nuts in the church.  I guess I just like plain, logical, straightforwardness.  The surreptitious intrigue that surrounds almost everything that affects us bugs me.

No comments: