06 February 2010

The one where I got shot down by Uncle Sam



Something outside a butcher's shop.  I've reached the point that I'm over-saturated with knowledge about Korea.  I was just curious enough to take the photo, but not curious enough to go inside and ask the proprietor what the steaming pot outside is for.
--------------------------------

Very few people who come to Korea to work plan to stay here long term.  My intention was to work here for two years at the most then go back to the States.  However, jobs in the States were not plentiful at the time due to the obstructionist Republican congress in those days, and jobs in Korea were very easy to come by.  Be that as it may, for ten years I've been looking for jobs back in America though without success so far.  The job interview aspect is daunting since American companies are loath to use online interview formats; they often insist on face-to-face interviews, and with me on the other side of the Pacific Ocean, that's just not feasible.  An old schoolmate gave me a lead on a federal jobs site that seemed really good, if not for long-term positions, at least something to get my foot back in the door of the United States.  However, that has failed.  This email arrived this morning:

Mr. Raymond,
The basic requirement for applying for U.S. Federal government positions is that you must have resided in the United States or its protectorates for the last three years.
If you have not, you will not be found eligible for consideration.  The hiring officials will not waive this requirement.

So another road back home is closed.   Let's just hope the bridge isn't washed out, too!

No comments: