10 February 2010

The one where I recount my ordeal

Actually, if I told you everything that my body has involuntarily done the last two days, you'd become what I was, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Suffice it to say that at about a quarter to 8 Monday evening I had a stomach ache, and an hour later I would have been willing to shoot myself had I a gun.  Yes, it was that horrible.  However, I survived, and this afternoon, though still a bit wonky, I took a short trek to the bakery for some crusty bread.  What little I had eaten on Monday never got a chance to digest unfortunately, and even though I still have no appetite, I know I must eat something.  It was rainy, a perfect backdrop to the misery of my unstable frame, but the baker had prepared for my arrival with this obstacle course you see in the photo.  My choices were: try to step on these upturned bread trays and get in this bakery or cross the street to the other bakery.  Either could have easily done me in considering every muscle in my body felt achingly undependable.  I risked the bread trays route and managed not to fall over.  I instinctively answered "no" to everything the baker asked me until I had the crusty bread in hand, tucked in my slicker, and was on my way home again.  Force of habit, I stood outside the motorcycle shop and watched them for a minute or two wishing I knew how to fix motorcycles, too.  At home, I tore off a bit of the bread, dabbed some butter on it, and collapsed on the futon to watch some TV.  The remote was on the desk, three feet away.  To hell with it.  I just watched the rain on the window instead. 

No comments: