22 September 2009

The One Where My Motorcycle Kind of Looked Sexy for a Few Minutes


Yes, even I must endure the mundane!  This is my bike getting its check up and oil change.  It occurred to me as I stood waiting how beautiful she is really.  Not very strong, but she gets me where I'm going and looks good doing it.

Yesterday morning I discovered my internet was out, but I went off to the uni anyway to putter, kind of believing it would all sort itself out when I came home.  But it hadn't.  So I ended up on the phone trying to tell the woman my problem with her talking just about as fast as a person can talk without making gibberish.  I asked her to slow down, but she didn't.  That's when I got pissed and told her to find someone who spoke English.  So there I was on hold, and this was the message that came on periodically in a womanly digital voice while I was waiting:

"Now is another inquired call.
One moment, please.
Please wait for a while.
Sorry.  Connection is delayed.
It is a lot of inquiring call now.
One moment, please.
Please wait for a while."

How can I recall it word for word? BECAUSE I HAD TO WAIT AND LISTEN TO THIS AD NAUSEAM!  My guess is they ran the Korean through a computer translator that produced this masterpiece which they plugged into a (fairly good) voice synthesizer.  Anyway, the internet guy who eventually answered kept asking me questions, and when I didn't understand, I could hear him slowly draw in his breath like he was trying not to yell at me, but eventually we got it all worked out and my internet was restored.  Nick of time, too, since I had to teach online last night.

No comments: