18 September 2009

The One Where I Don't Go to the Secret Faculty Meetings


Google Calendar is becoming a better value than Mac's iCalendar, it seems.  They've come out with this list of national holidays for various countries that can be added to your Google calendar.  I've subscribed to the South Korean one, and it put in all the Korean holidays automatically!  Will wonders never cease?

Today was a long day. Finished at 6:30 tonight, but all my classes were good.  We did some great practice and learned a lot of new stuff about describing people. Some of them had trouble with their Second Life homework, but we worked most of it out.  Linden Labs must be having a bad day or something.  I extended their Second Life homework one more week since it is tricky getting used to how things work in world.  Some of them had their avatars wear the Dongguk T-shirt I made and gave them.  Cool.

I'm having second thoughts about a trip to Gyeonggido tomorrow.  I might go, but in the afternoon, maybe.  I doubt anyone would ever come here nearly as much as I go up there, and that kind of irks me.

A friend and I were talking about how rigid everything has gotten here... that there's a "grading" scale for our participation in the university, and we foreigners can never get a high grade because we don't even know some of the things we get graded on.  I have never been told about faculty meetings for our own department, but we are supposed to go to those to get the points.  Apparently we also get graded zero on our devotion to Buddhism,  probably because most of us don't find pandering to religious ignorance very useful and partly because we have no idea how to get Buddhism points.  Nobody said we had to be Buddhist to work here, but if we aren't Buddhist, it is a mark against us, it seems.  Anyway, we chatted about the money in the Middle East might be enough to make the recent rise in anti-foreigner bullshit in Korea something to think about.  So I'm thinking.

No comments: