21 July 2010

The one where a shirt speaks for me

The last couple weeks in America, I have noticed that there are a LOT of fat people.  I'm no Twiggy, granted, and compared to Koreans, I am definitely a big guy, but here in the States, I look rather slim next to some of these folks!  Maybe here is a reason:

Candy vending machines!  I had forgotten about them, because I only see them here.  This one looks so inviting, eh?  Plus, everything you order at a restaurant here is double the size it should be. Today I got a burrito at the Raging Burrito downtown, and it was bigger than both my fists side by side!  I haven't been able to finish a restaurant meal here since I arrived!  What does it say about a people who eat so much while so many on earth starve to death?  And it isn't that the fat Americans don't realize people are starving, it's that we seem not to care.  I got mine, to hell with you.  That's not right; shame on me, too. 

Oh, I had a wonderfully long and friendly chat with a lady and her incompetent assistant (but a sweet gal nonetheless) about Korea, Korean money, culture, and motorcycles, the army, weather, and god only knows what else we covered.  She runs a T-shirt printing shop in some mall that I came across by accident while looking for the drugstore I had dropped some film off at.  I wandered into her shop while contemplating hanging around for a movie to start, and when I realized where I was, I told her I was a Democrat and I wanted a shirt to emphasize that by saying the following:


She instantly knew what I was getting at, and we had a good laugh.  There's an election today, and she warned me not to wear this today in public! LOL  However, I like it, and I don't mean it literally, though I'm sure some right wing radical would easily oblige me if he had the chance!  Considering all the hate-filled signage we've seen from tea partiers the last year, my T-shirt is rather tame, I would say.



No comments: