06 December 2009

The one where I'm not cooking with gas

The other day my landlady came by to see what I was whinging about regarding the city gas service to my apartment.  I told her the gas wasn't flowing regularly, smoothly, through the line.  She called the Rinnai A/S (service department) who promptly concluded that the gas range was too old and needed replacement at her expense.  She seemed to think that was reasonable and ordered a new range (top).  I thought that since she was being so gullible, I might try to convince her that foreigners like ovens and maybe she should buy a new oven for me instead.  No go.  But it was worth a try.  So the service guy shows up with the new range top, and I show him how the gas is behaving, so he gets on the phone to tell his office that it's not a problem with the range.


This is the guy in my kitchen calling his office.
(Yes, I take photos of all service people who come to my house.  I don't know why exactly, but there it is! -- Who are you calling insane? LOL)

So he told me that it's the gas meter that is obviously malfunctioning, and he'll have the landlady call for an appointment with the city gas company.  Voila!  I now have to be home supposedly at 3 PM Monday, but I know that as soon as I make a quick 9 AM trip to the university, I'll get a phone call from the gas guys asking where I am.  If I stay home all day, they won't show up until 5 PM.  It's a subsection of Murphy's Law called the Korean Clause.

I've done some cooking!  Take a look:


This is a batch of corn bread cooked in a caste iron pot in my toaster oven (hence the uneven browning).  I like to put hot milk in it and eat it like a cereal for breakfast.  It's a good batch.


This is a meat pie I made with chicken, potatoes, and fried onion inside.  The pastry turned out really nice, but I had to camp in front of the toaster oven most of the time to make sure it didn't burn!  *sigh*  I wish the landlady would've agreed to a real oven.  She'll let me buy one and install it at my own expense, but that would be a huge hassle come time to move next time.  However, if I don't plan on moving, what's the big deal, Michael?  Just do it!  Do it! Do it now!  Yeah, that's what I thought, you wuss.
- - - - - - - -


Hey Grandpa!  What's fer supper?













(I know this gets re-posted automatically over on Facebook, but it doesn't format very nicely... sorry for that, but nothing I can do about it.)

No comments: