16 March 2012

The one about spring

Winter is a hard time for me.  It gets cold in Korea, not as cold as my hometown in America, but it is still pretty cold.  Riding my motorcycle is one of my favorite activities, but when the temperatures are low, ice often forms on the streets which makes riding dangerous.  Walking in the cold is OK if the day is sunny.  It is not pleasant, however, when the day is overcast and windy.  Though it doesn't snow much where I live, when it does snow, the traffic is a nightmare and everything looks dirty and messy outside.  Of course, heating the house is expensive.  The utility bills in the winter are very high.

When spring finally appears, it is the happiest time of the year.  This week spring is beginning here in Korea.  There is still a tussle between the cold and the warm.  One day is cold, the next warm, cold, then warm again. As the seasons wrestle, signs of new life begin to show on trees and bushes all over the city.  There are little buds that will become leaves and blossoms in a matter of weeks.   Rains caused by the conflict of warm fronts and cold fronts soak the earth to free up grass and flowers.  Insects wriggle from their hiding places to search for food and mates as the promise of long, warm days rises with the sun.

I love spring and summer to the same degree I dislike winter. When winter is past, there is no love lost between us!  Am I alone?  Hardly!  There are a lot of people who also don't like winter, people who rejoice at the longer days of spring and anticipate the coming warmth of summer.  Count me among them.  Good riddance, old man winter!  Welcome, flowering spring! It's time to dust off the motorcycle and time to let the warm breezes buoy my spirits.

No comments: