09 December 2010

The one about the plumbing

Have I moved to a new address? Unfortunately, no. Korea has been revamping its address system for the postal service, and our building's new address was tacked on to the house a while back.  I've been seeing this for years in the larger cities, and I just assumed it was another adventure in futility since nobody knows their "new" address even if it was assigned and posted years ago. The utility companies use the old address system.  When I registered my motorbike, the precinct office wanted the old address.  Under the old system, neighborhoods and towns were divided up into what we might call "blocks", and each block is assigned a number.  Business or housing units within the block were assigned an additional number.  My neighborhood is called "Yonggang". My block in that neighborhood is number 1358.  My building is number 10.  Easy, eh?  Well, now they've started naming streets.  Of course, nobody knows the name of the street they live on, because street names weren't part of life before.  So, here's my new address using the street names system:  My street is Sogeumgang Road 29th Street, house number 7.  Smaller streets are named as adjuncts to larger streets, so if you know the name of the large street nearby, your little street will be named after it with a number to indicate which little street it is.  The big street a block away is Sogeumgang Road (named after the nearby hill).  I'm on the 29th street off that road.  I could get used to it, I suppose.

Speaking of housing, I got up one morning a few days ago to find excess water on my kitchen floor.  The cloth I put down in front of the sink was sopping wet; the under-floor heating had evaporated most of the rest, though.  I thought I had just been too messy while washing dishes the night before, but yesterday, I noticed the wood on the kitchen floor was buckling a little.  The amount of water needed to do that was more than I ever spill washing dishes, so my curiosity was piqued.  Something happened, but the cabinet under my sink was bone dry, so it wasn't a leak in my plumbing.  Later, I noticed this sign out in the foyer:

It is not clear what the meaning is.  On the surface, it basically says the water tank broke and got into the electrical stuff in the wall.  Be careful.  Then some scribbling that I can't decipher, and then the cost of repairing, but not sure exactly what was repaired or why I have to know that and the cost.  The water tank floater is propped up there with an arrow that says "Look".  No indication who wrote it, though.

For thirteen years I've lived in a mystery novel.  This is just the latest example of what it's like to live here and try to piece together stories and information from people whose culture doesn't like them speaking bluntly or directly.  Every day I have to follow their circular thought patterns round and round until I get an idea of what's going on, and then half the time my conclusions are wrong.

No comments: