04 August 2010

The one where I mock jingoism.

There is a competition waged in America lately, a subtle combat gone virtually unnoticed even though its effects appear on jacket lapels, lawn ornaments, bumper stickers, and flagpoles across the country.  Who can wear the biggest or best pin?  Who can squeeze one more sticker on the car? Who is the most patriotic by flying the biggest flag in town?  I'm half expecting some community to start remodeling rooftops so that they create a large American flag effect when seen from above.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

At last, I have grown accustomed to tipping again.  No longer do I walk out of the restaurant without dropping a few dollars extra on the table for the waitress.  However, tipping might be getting a little out of hand when a drive up coffee kiosk wants a tip for...
for...
for what exactly is this little tip bucket dangling here in front of me?

My visit to America is drawing to a close.  As usual, I'm reluctant to leave, but simultaneously anxious to get home.  My travel bags are stuffed with goods unavailable in Korea, and I've said most of my good byes.  It was a good holiday for the most part, but I will certainly be happy to get back to my home, sleep in my own bed, and cuddle my sweet little kitties again.

No comments: